Unaffected by Civilization, food has always been one of the most basic needs of humankind. Food has always been, and will never stop being consumed. It only changes in style and habits.
Food has come a long way from being gathered by hunter-gatherers, to being cultivated and cooked on river banks where civilizations sprung up. Today, it is the restaurants that rule the landscape of food. They have evolved from being a utility-service to becoming hangout-joins. Some restaurants have carved their own niche of awesomeness when it comes to quality and taste.
If people liked a particular restaurant’s food, they did not have much of an option but to go to that restaurant and dine there, or at the least, have it packed for them to take it to their homes.
After a while, restaurants started to run their own food delivery services. The challenge here was to let people know of all the dishes that they had. There was also an issue with the logistics – a person had to be available in the restaurant to deliver the food. Since it was nothing more than the address that was available, it put some pressure on the delivery person to find the exact location. It involved excessive coordination over the phone.
Enter Food Delivery Applications
With advancements in GPS tech and internet availability, food delivery applications are ruling the market. The need to coordinate over the phone had been eliminated. The restaurant could keep the menu updated, so users can order anything of their choice. The GPS allows the delivery people to precisely track users location.
Above everything, food delivery applications like Zomato and GrubHub managed to take the burden of delivering food away from the restaurants. It was no longer required for the restaurant to have a delivery executive waiting even in the times when there were no orders.
The Market for Food Delivery Applications
Come to think of it, there was always a market for food delivery. It just took the world of applications to realize, renew and rejuvenate. People have always wanted to enjoy a good variety of dishes in the confines and the comfort of their homes. This feeling and demand for comfort is not just limited to young professionals, although it cannot be disagreed that they form the biggest consumer for food delivery applications. Outside all of this, people who party and people who have a small gathering at home also look for delivery services.
The fact that a lot of food delivery startups have been funded by big names is a resounding testimony to the possibility of business success that these services can bring.
The market also has a lot of room to accommodate new players. This might be a good chance for entrepreneurs to launch their own food delivery service. With the availability of clones of Uber eats and Zomato, food delivery app development will not take a heavy toll in terms of both time and money!
How do food delivery services work?
There is a trio of nodes that work together to bring about effective food delivery services. The first one is, of course, the user. They order the food of their choice from the application. The second entity is the restaurants. They prepare and pack the food that the users demand. The third and final entity is the delivery executive who takes care to pick the food up from the restaurant and deliver it to the user.
The mechanism is quite simple.
- The user downloads the app, creates a login and gives the essential details like the standard delivery address (including its GPS coordinates), and their contact phone number.
- When the user opens the applications, they will be provided a list of restaurants that deliver food in their preferred area of delivery. Once they choose a restaurant, the menu will be shown. The user can choose the items they prefer, and add it to the cart. After adding all the needed dishes, the user can check out.
- The payment can be made either online or in cash to the delivery executive.
- As soon as the order is placed, there are two notifications that go out – one for the restaurant and the other for the set of delivery executives who are servicing that area.
- The restaurant accepts the order and starts to prepare the food. In the meanwhile, a delivery executive will also accept the offer to pick up and deliver. The executive starts moving towards the restaurant.
- All the progress are intimated to the user by the push notifications of the application.
- Once the food is ready and the delivery executive reaches the restaurant, they pick up the food and deliver it to the user.
- Delivery executive constantly updates the status including accepting delivery request, collecting food from restaurant/outlet, and delivery to customer.
- The GPS helps in navigating to the perfect location of the user.
- A review and rating system helps rate the restaurants and the delivery executive is based on the quality of delivery and the food, as per customer’s discretion.
Food delivery solutions might seem like yet another evolution backed by technology. However, it is a lot more than that! it introduced the concept of having a third party delivery partner who is outside the restaurant ecosystem. This has not only given the restaurants a catalysis in accepting online orders but has also generated a lot of employment opportunities.
The review and rating systems have constantly pushed the restaurants to keep up their quality in food. Restaurants have now understood that they not only need to supply the diners but also the customers who order from home.
The advent of food delivery applications has also given rise to a lot of cloud kitchens. Cloud kitchens are nothing more than functional kitchens that do not have a dine-in option. This might have been unthinkable a few years ago. However, in recent times, food delivery applications have given a boost to these cloud kitchens. Some cloud kitchens are poised to grow so big that they have even received international funding.
Food delivery applications have taken one of the most basic needs of humans, and have turned it into a lucrative business opportunity. It will not be an exaggeration to say that the market for these services is as big as the need for food! It would be a good idea for entrepreneurs’ to start their own food delivery service. The food delivery app development efforts and cost involved can be substituted by using clones of food delivery apps like Uber eats and Zomato.
AppDupe has a team of expert app developers who will take care to gather your requirements and customize your food delivery app accordingly. In short, if a food delivery app is your order, we will take care to deliver the best for you!