Snapchat is the social precursor of Instagram Stories and Facebook Stories, now so loved and used by users of social networks. Launched in 2011 by Reggie Brown, Bobby Murphy and Evan Spiegel, Snapchat initially started out as an instant messaging service.
Today it is a platform where users can exchange audio and video content of a maximum duration of 10 seconds (we talk about snap), which are deleted immediately after viewing.
In addition to snaps, Snapchat also allows you to share Stories, i.e. photo albums or videos that, however, last for 24 hours before disappearing forever.
In some markets, moreover, in recent times the possibility of connecting a credit card to your personal account has been introduced, so that you can send small amounts of money to another user through the chat, which is also present in the ghost social yellow.
How to use Snapchat
To use Snapchat you must connect to the Google Store (for Android devices) or to the Apple Store (for iOS devices) and you must download the application on your smartphone. After that, you will need to open it and create your personal account.
By clicking on Register you will have to enter your information: name and surname, date of birth, username, e-mail address, telephone number and password. After that you will receive a confirmation code via SMS or call, which you will have to enter and verify your account.
Now that you know how to use snapchat, you are ready to send your first snap, to chat and to share stories. How to do? I’ll explain it to you in the next paragraph.
How Snapchat works
Using Snapchat is very simple. Social characteristics, in fact, are immediacy, ease of use and creativity with which you can indulge in the production and sharing of content.
In the first screen of the application you will find the camera, with which you can take photos or take short videos to share with your friends.
The peculiarity of Snapchat lies in the creative elements that it puts at your disposal and that you can insert in snaps and stories, choosing for each one the place to place them and the size.
It’s about it:
- geofilters, or graphic contents that you can add depending on the geographical location where you are at that moment;
- Stickers, namely stickers;
- Personalized text;
- Free drawing;
- The lenses, or Snapchat lenses, 3D graphic effects that you can apply in a fun way to your face. To activate them you need to use the front camera, frame your face, hold down the center of the screen and the lenses will appear automatically adapting to the frame.
For each snap you can decide to set the duration of the display (just click on the timer icon) and you can decide whether to mute the audio in the case of videos.
The beauty of Snapchat is also that by interacting with snaps you can send text messages or voice messages or start calls or video calls with your friends, communicating with them instantly.
By clicking on the icon at the bottom right, the second screen of the application will open and you will be able to access your notifications. Here you will find:
- All recent updates, or stories and snaps posted by your friends;
- The My Story, which is the collection of snap you posted throughout the day and you can also see who has viewed them and who took a screenshot of your snap, though Snapchat it signals the ban with a red icon;
- Discover, where you can view the Stories created and posted by brands;
- Live, the section where you can view in real time the snaps and stories produced by users relating to a specific topic or to a specific event.
Who to follow on Snapchat
Want to know how you can find your friends on Snapchat? You can do it in 4 different ways:
- You can use the username of the friend you are looking for;
- You can use the snapcode, which each user can create and which works just like a QR Code. By framing the snapcode with the camera you will find the Snapchat profile of the user you are looking for;
- You can connect your phone book to Snapchat and search for your contacts on the social network;
- You can add close friends, a function that Snapchat makes available to you.
How to delete the Snapchat account
Finally, if you are tired of using Snapchat or have problems using it, you can always decide to cancel your account. To do this, you must enter your username and password on the Spachat account cancellation page and confirm.
At this point, the account will first be deactivated for 30 days and only afterwards will it be permanently deleted. During the period in which the account is deactivated your friends will not be able to contact you but you can always decide to reactivate it.
Attention because you only have 30 days to recover all your data otherwise you will lose them irreparably.
If you have any advice on how to use Snapchat, who to add on snapchat or how to make videos with Snapchat, use the comments at the end of the article.
Jerome Gillam is an experienced producer, serving as a photographer in Event Photography Company in Dubai for the past 5 years. He has industry experience of 10 years. Besides this, he is also an expert in blogging.