The types of plastic water pipe are categorized by the material used to create them. Types of pipes: PEX: Cross-linked Polyethylene, PVC: Polyvinyl Chloride like UPVC pipes, LLDPE: Linear Low-density Polyethylene.
Before you choose whether you want UPVC pipes and fittings or some other types of pipes, it better to check their properties like temperature rating, compatibility with chemicals and much more.
PEX Water Pipes/Tubes
When it comes to hot and cold water, PEX water pipes are preferred as they are made from cross-linked Polyethylene that comes with extra strength. PEX pipes/tubes generally have a big diameter of around 0.5 inches to 1.5 inches.
Pex tubes are mostly used when it comes to household plumbing systems, as a lot of people prefer to use hot and cold water for their houses. Each PEX tube is strong enough to be used in high-temperature places.
Sizes of PEX Pipes
Generally, PEX pipes are used in 0.5 inches diameter size. But there are other measurements that can also be made available:
- With an inner diameter of 0.125 inches and an outer diameter of 0.25 inches with a bend radius of 1.5 inches
- With an inner diameter of 0.25 inches and an outer diameter of 0.375 inches with a bend radius of 3 inches
- With an inner diameter of 0.3.75 inches and an outer diameter of 0.5 inches with a bend radius of 4 inches
- With an inner diameter of 0.5 inches and an outer diameter of 0.625 inches with a bend radius of 5 inches
- With an inner diameter of 0.75 inches and an outer diameter of 0.875 inches with a bend radius of 7 inches
- With an inner diameter of 1 inch and an outer diameter of 1.125 inches with a bend radius of 10 inches
Polyehtylene Water Pipes
Polyethylene pipes/tubes are considered one the best as they are known for being able to withstand high temperature and pressure and other environmental stresses. Among others in polyethylene pipes, LLDPE is considered the most common and best.
LLDPE pipes stand for linear low-density polyehtylene pipes that as the name suggests is best when it comes to being used in low-pressure conditions. This type of pipe is best to be used in case of cold water.
This type of tubing are generally used in a machine that dispenses ice water, water filters and under the sinks where it can flex a little bit to protect from water bumps.
These types of tubings are certified by the associations to be used without issues and can be used in places where drinking water is required.
Each size of the pipe/tube works in different pressure and temperature. With an inner diameter of 0.25 inches and an outer diameter of 0.170 inches with pressure and temperature of 230 psi at 70 degree Celsius respectively.