Glove Boxes are not quite standard laboratory equipment. It is only used in exceptional cases where experiments require a restricted environment. The glove boxes have a separate chamber with gloves attached to that box. The box becomes a controlled environment as soon as the door is closed. A lab worker inserts their hands through the gloves to handle the experiment or equipment. The glove boxes have a transparent glass panel that allows the workers to check the experiment’s progress. Some glove boxes also have acrylic panels for transparency.
Isolation glove boxes are particular types of glove boxes. It is also called an isolator. It has a similar design like the regular glove boxes but has a higher level of accuracy. Hence, isolators are the best choice for volatile and sensitive experiments.
Isolation glove boxes can be made with different materials. In general, the glove box has a body of acrylic PVC, or static PVC or non-dissipative PVC. Some advanced isolators are also made with polypropylene.
Here are the standard glove boxes-
- Polypropylene glove boxes- The polypropylene glove boxes are incredibly resistant to chemicals and do not get damaged easily.
- Acrylic isolation glove boxes– Acrylic glove box isolators are the most reasonable. They are ideal for general work. In general, acrylic glove box isolators get damaged from alcohol or strong chemicals. They are not suitable for experiments involving harsh or strong chemicals.
- Static dissipative PVC- The Static dissipative PVC isolators can encounter static energies and keep the environment free from free particles.
Main qualities of an isolation glove box
- The isolation glove boxes have an airlock system. It prevents air from passing through the small passages. The airlock system ensures that there is no loss of nitrogen or inert gases.
- The isolates also have a valve to decrease the pressure inside the box. The lid is automatic.
- The twin doors open in the inward direction. It allows you to transfer things inside the chamber quickly. In general, the doors have stainless steel frames and are durable. The doors also have a valve gasket and rubber bulb to ensure proper closure.
- The back portion of isolators come with gaskets. It is removable.
- Propylene made isolators have tempered glass in their front window and doors. It allows you to check what is happening inside. Additionally, they also have fluorescent lights for a better view.
- New isolation glove boxes have different designs. It can be one to three feet in length. Some models have a single pair of gloves while others have two pairs so that two people can work together. Many models also have four to five glove ports. In general, these boxes are more significant and broader than the regular ones.
Shielded isolation glove boxes
Shielded isolation glove boxes are ideal for working with radioactive chemicals. They have unique features that make them suitable for dangerous experiments. Shielded isolators can prevent radioactive rays from escaping. It is common in the radiological department of hospitals and radioactive chemistry laboratories.
Sterile isolation glove boxes
Toxic materials need a unique environment. These materials are harmful to humans and must be handled with caution and care. Sterile isolation glove boxes have unique features that allow them to be safe for sterile materials. It is widely used in hospitals and labs that require sterilization of items and equipment.
Inert atmosphere isolation glove boxes
In the case of individual experiments, an inert environment with inert gases like nitrogen, helium, etc. is necessary. The inert atmosphere isolation glove boxes have a unique inert atmosphere inside their chamber. They have individual valves and features to keep the inert gases from escaping.
How does glovebox work?
The work procedure for isolation glove boxes is simple. They have small ports with attached gloves for working and handling things inside the box. A worker needs to use clean hands to use these ports. The chamber has transparent side panels and doors that allow them to check what is going inside the chamber.
The glove boxes have a unique environment inside their chambers. There is also a gas chamber and a valve and an alarm. The alarm and gas indicator can notify if the environment inside the house is not in ideal condition.
Any isolator glove box needs to be checked regularly to ensure they are working correctly. If the gas pressure inside is not in proper condition for the gas valve gives inaccurate readings, it is better to remain alert. Often the gas levels go down and inserting gases inside the glove box chamber makes the environment ideal for conducting experiments.
Globallabsupply.com has different models of isolation glove boxes. You can choose any model from their collection as per your requirement and budget.